Social Icons

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Sore muscles... Here is What I do.

After all the running I have put in lately I haven't been super sore after my runs, but after strength training I have been.  Here is what I do to minimize my soreness.

  • Protein within 30 minutes of completing my workout.  A few of my go to sources are eggs, (i like them any way you can cook them) a protein shake.  They have one that is peanut butter chocolate flavored!!!  This has been delightful with a banana and some milk or water blended together.  Cottage cheese and fruit, or greek yogurt.
  • Stretch while your warm.  My stretching routine always includes about 5 minutes with my handy dandy foam roller buddy.  There are also a few other variations on this... a tennis ball can work wonders on muscles or bottoms of feet.  Or the stick can be portable so you can take it with you anywhere. 
  • Same day or next day Yoga, I have a love hate with yoga, but it always helps me minimize soreness.
  • Hydrate!  Water and replacing electrolytes is important to keep your body functioning properly and helps keep you from cramping.
  • Deep Blue, Peppermint or Aromatouch Essential oils to help with the soreness.
  • ICE!!! I can't stress this enough, Ice is so great for helping especially in trouble areas.  I almost always ice my knee after a run or workout.  And if it is a real intense workout I will even do an ice bath.  Make it through the first 2 minutes and it gets better, the initial shock of getting in is not awesome... but the awesome comes.  Check out this link for some tips on Icebaths http://www.runladylike.com/2012/10/11/how-to-take-an-ice-bath/
  • L-Glutamine supplements help I take them on a regular basis.
I would love to hear some of your tips for minimizing soreness, please leave me a comment and tell what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.