Social Icons

Monday, April 7, 2014

How I Meal Prep

I've had the SAME EXACT meal planning and prepping routine for over 3 years, I kid you not, I could do this blindfolded!  LOL  I'm here today to lay it all out, from beginning to end, what it is I do each week to help me prepare for a successful week ahead.  I do this weekly because I have found that fruits and veggies spoil fast, and planning is WAY easier as well.

EVERY SATURDAY I start with a printable weekly meal planner in front of me....one kinda like this:
 
Next, I grab some resources for meal and snack ideas, sorta like these:
Amazing and Simple Lunch Ideas:
Same blog with more recipes:

I like to keep things SUPER SIMPLE by repeating most of my meals all week except for dinner, that is when our family all sits down together, and they probably wouldn't appreciate eating the same 2 dinners every other night.  BUMMER!

Here are some Breakfast ideas: Oatmeal w/banana & PB.  Scrambled eggs with spinach, tomatoes, and crumbled feta/goat cheese.  Smoothie.
Here are some snack ideas: Apple & String Cheese.  Yogurt w/fruit.  Veggies w/hummus.


   
Next, I start writing out my meal plan by choosing a couple diff breakfasts, snacks, and lunches.  And like I said, I will repeat the few that I choose all week long.  KISS - Keep It Super Simple!!
I'll then choose 6 different dinners (we eat out one night a week, every week), and write them down on the meal planner as well.
Here is my sample meal plan from last week:

Once I get my meal planner all filled out, I grab a piece of paper and write out my grocery list.  I make sure to go through my fridge and pantry to see what I already have stocked so I don't double up (I've done this too many times to count, and kick myself every time!).

THEN, on Sunday, I go shopping!  I get things ONLY on my list.  I repeat, I get things ONLY on my list! You will save money doing this, I promise!

When I get home, I put all the groceries away.  Once that is done, I'll prep any and all meals that I can, especially lunches and snacks.  For example, take a look at the pics above.  Those are my morning snacks for the entire week, prepped and ready to just grab and eat.  They can easily be taken to work or on the run as well!  NO EXCUSES!!

Here are my prepped "Salads in a Jar".  They stayed fresh all the way to the end of the week!

Here is my Meal Planning and Prepping schedule in a nutshell:
SATURDAY - 
1. Print out a weekly meal planner
2. Gather recipe resources
3. Choose 2-3 breakfasts, snacks, and lunches, and write them down on the planner
4. Choose dinner recipes for the week and add them to the planner
5. Write out grocery list
SUNDAY - 
1. Go grocery shopping
2. Put groceries away, prep snacks and lunches



I hope I have helped you in some way.  It's always a little time consuming in the beginning, but be patient, give yourself time to learn the process.  Stop making excuses as to why you can't meal plan or don't know how or where to start.  Spend time on Sunday to prep, I can't even BEGIN to tell you how flippin' happy you'll be when you see how much time you saved throughout the week.  Being able to open the fridge and grab your lunch when you're running out the door for work in the morning....PRICELESS!!!

I always like to say: Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail.
xoxo, 
Roxie


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.