Social Icons

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pre-Run Fuel Favorite: Protein Oats

Why are steel cut oats so good for you?
Oats are a high nutrient plant food that has a ton of nutrition, Vit E, B, and minerals - calcium, magnesium, potassium, selenium copper, zinc, iron and manganese.  Oats are also great because they don't spike your blood sugar the way refined carbohydrates do.

According to the book Beauty Detox Foods by Kimberly Snyder "In a study at Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, it was determined that consumption of whole grains can contribute to favorable metabolic alterations that may reduce long-term weight gain.  This along with fat reduction, will help reduce cellulite."

Oats are beneficial to heart health, and can help prevent diabetes due to the slow uptake of glucose.

Here is my recipe for what I call Protein Oats:
I absolutely love this breakfast and it is really and easy way for me to add in a bit more protein to my diet without consuming one more boiled egg, or piece of chicken. I love steel cut oats they are my favorite and obviously healthy for you from the information I found about them.  I usually make a big batch to last me the week because really who has time to make a 30+ minute breakfast every morning!  Not this Mom.  So I make a bunch then when I go to reheat some I add in 1-2 egg whites stir them in and reheat it cooking the egg white.  I then put on my topping of choice lately it has been peanut butter with a tiny bit of honey or some dark chocolate chips.  But I have been known to put berries or  just honey, a banana, really your options are endless here.  I have been eating this on mornings before I go run, I need to eat just a little earlier so my body can digest it before I start my run, but it has proven to be a great form of fuel.  It is filling, and one serving with 2 egg whites and 1/4 cup dry oats and 1 tbsp peanut butter has 10.6 grams fat (don't let this scare you it is good fat), 4 g fiber 15.7g protein and 290 calories.  UNDER 300 Calories for a very filling very healthy breakfast!

1/2 cup cooked oats
1-2 egg whites
mixed and heated until egg is cooked
add desired topping and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.