Social Icons

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Green Smoothie Basics

I have to be honest, I am a terrible eater, I am addicted to sugar and I don't love my veggies.  Yikes, can't believe I just admitted that.  However, I have to find ways around my bad habits and cravings to trick my tongue into believing we are having a treat.  So one of my go to "treats" is a green smoothie, and me the veggie hater loves them!  I get asked a lot what I put in them, or how to make them so I thought I would give you all the run down and basics of how I make a green smoothie.


First off you want to have a liquid so everything will blend, I usually choose from the following and use about a cup: (I will also add in the juice of about 1/2 a lemon)
  • Water
  • Aloe Vera Juice
  • Berry flavored aloe vera juice
  • Coconut water
  • Almond Milk (usually this is rare for me)
Then you want to choose your greens and/or veggies, I usually choose from the following, and use 2-5 fist fulls:

  • Baby Spinach (this is my favorite, and usual go to green, because it has a more mild taste)
  • Kale (this is a strong taste and one I have to build up to)
  • Mixed greens
  • Beet Greens
  • Cucumbers
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Beets
If I haven't pre-made and frozen a bunch in advance I will usually mix these together to get my greens/veggies a really good blending.

I then add my fruits to sweeten things up and cover the veggie taste, I usually use about a cup of frozen fruit of any variety, my favorite is the tropical blend, but I have used all kinds of frozen fruits, and I sometimes will throw in an apple, pear, banana or anything else that I might need to get used up before it goes bad.

I then add in some healthy fats from the following, just a bit here, I usually do a TBSP of most of these, think thumb sized portion, but I will do a bit more avacado:
  • Chia seeds
  • Ground flax seeds
  • Almonds
  • Walnuts
  • Coconut oil
  • Avacado (this makes it really creamy and delish!)
I then mix it all together, and believe it or not my youngest is always fighting me for some!  This is perfect for me in the mornings, or if I get a sweet craving during the day.  Be careful and measure as you can add up quick calories with smoothies. 

If I am doing strength workouts or following The Zone, trying to keep my blood sugar level, or playing game on diet I will add in a bit of protein as well, I have done greek yogurt or protein powders, I really like the one from DoTERRA, and the one from www.tryabouttime.com, or I will pair my smoothie with a boiled egg or something so I am giving myself a well rounded meal.

My go to favorite is
1 cup Berry flavored aloe vera
3-4 fist fulls of spinach
2 tsp Chia Seeds
1 cup Frozen tropical fruit mix
1 scoop Vanilla DoTERRA Trim shake.

What smoothies have you put together that you really enjoy?

Here are a few items I like

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.