Social Icons

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Putting It All Out There

Game Plan Part 1 - Core Strengthening

Trying to get back into running form on a treadmill is like stabbing a fork into my eye.  Maybe worse. I fully appreciate having a treadmill but it's primarily used for maintenance sake during the winter since I'm not a fan of running outside when it's freezing.  However, 4 miles on treadster is the peak of my tolerance.  Kudos to all you frosty runners!  I can't wait to bust things out when it thaws a little.

Instead, I focus on strength training during the cold months.  It's refreshing to cross train and right now my core needs some serious attention.  I've set some goals that I want to obtain by the end of March.  I'm gonna put my brave face on and just lay it all out there, pictures and all. I'm excited, here we go!

My excited face apparently involves one crossed eyeball.

I don't own a scale because to me weight doesn't represent size.  I use this handy measuring tape instead to measure 3 problem areas;  my waist, thighs, and hips.  (Another common problem area is the bust line.  I've never had to track this as I have the opposite problem.)

I bought this tape back in '03-'04 to track my growing belly during my first pregnancy.  Cute right?  Although now when I read the tape I get to see how many months pregnant I look.  


When measuring my waist I always do it at the belly button.  I take a full breath in and then let it out halfway.  According to the tape, I am now 5 months along.  Awesome...except not.  Although to compare myself to before kids is unrealistic since my starting waist line was the size of my thigh.  The tape reads about 31 inches.  Goal - to get the fake bun out of the oven be at 29 inches.

Thigh is measured about 1 inch down at the thickest part.
Mine is 23 inch.  Goal - 22 inch.
Hips also measured at thickest part.  On me it's about 7 inches down from my waist.  Tape reads 38 1/2 inches.
Goal - 37 inches.

 Disclaimer - I am a small person.  When I stretch my neck like a turtle on steroids I reach 5'3''.  My ideal measurements are not the same as yours. 

Taking Action - What my training involves.

Your core muscles include the muscles of the stomach, back, and hips.  First clue that my core needs work is my posture.  It's horrible and weak.  Having a stable core is like having a strong foundation.  It is important for everyone.  In relation to running...

 "The stronger your core, the more solid you are as you hit the ground," explains Jack Daniels, Ph.D., exercise physiologist for the Nike Farm Team. "That reduces your need for unnecessary stabilization, and allows you to be a more economical runner." 

Here are some of my "go to" core exercises.

First and favorite is 100-150 abdominal reps.  It can be 100 of any type of exercise that targets your abdominal muscles.  Mine usually include 20 sit-ups, 30 crunches, 30 bicycle kicks (on each leg - 60 total), 4 straight leg static holds of 5 seconds or more.  If I'm up for it, I often add a 30 sec. - 1 min plank on the end.  The key here is to do 100 reps without stopping.  By changing it up the muscles are used slightly different and you can do more.  I often do this morning and night.

Sit and twist.  Grab something heavy like a medicine ball, free weight, small bag of sand, a cute baby, etc...and sit with your knees bent.  Then twist from side to side while holding the item away from your body.  Try not to hold your breath.  You can do more if you remember to breathe.

Again using my kids I lay on my back and give them horse rides on my shins.  To get the best burn, keep your knees away from your chest...or use your spouse.

Superman pose.  Lay face down and raise arms and legs off the ground like your flying.  You can blow a fan in your face and add sound effects if that helps.  Works the backside.

Butt lift.  Otherwise known as a bridge but I like butt lift better.  While on your back press with your feet and lift your butt off the ground.  Your weight should be supported by your feet and shoulders.  For more challenge you can rotate straightening a leg and holding for 5-10 sec.

I plan on strength training every day.  Remember some is better than none. Keeping an exercise log is motivating as well.  Mine is on my personal blog http://runthatswagger.blogspot.com/ if you'd like to see what I'm doing.  Ready, set, go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.