Social Icons

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Kitchen Ate My Self Control


Or…..
Getting back on track with your new year’s resolutions

I was ambitious this year.  I bit off WAY more than I could chew on resolutions this year.  But I had a plan, I had a note book, I had pretty printables, I had plans to take over the world.  (Hold on there Pinky.)  Well I did.  


And then we started remodeling the kitchen.

And that budget, and losing 10 pounds, and getting on top of emergency preparedness, and reading 100 books, and making all those healthy home cooked meals went right out the window.  Cleaning plans got buried as everything that was in my kitchen went elsewhere.  So much for that right?
As it turns out I am not off the hook so easily.  There is actually a lot to be gained from those “old” resolutions.  Here are four reasons I need to recommit right now.

1-Studies show that highly successful people are people don’t give up on goals over failures lapses.  They label them as lapses and keep going.  It turns out that perseverance is worth far more in life that perfection.  (Who knew?)

2-Trying new things is really good for your brain.  It forces the brain to build new pathways and is a natural releases of all those happy brain chemicals.  OUR BRAINS LOVE NEW CHALLENGES AND EXPERIENCES.  But even though I have lapsed on those goals in the pursuit of a kitchen from this century those old pathways are still there, making it easier for me to make progress by recommitting today.

3-The best way to be successful in a goal is to reflect of what worked or for that matter didn’t on the last go around.  I know that using trackers works, especially if you think they are “pretty” and you enjoy using them works well for me.  I also know that I should have picked my timing better.  Just because it was the New Year and millions of other people were choosing now to embark on a new challenge does not mean it was the right time for me to do so.

4-Recognizing that you have blown it is progress- Ok so this one is a little out there, but in the process of learning a new habit you need to be aware of when things are not working.  These key moments ESPECIALLY if you have them WHILE you are blowing it are an important part of making change.  A vital step that says the wiring in your brain is actually changing in the way that you want.  Now there are two tricks for this one to actually work.  First- Is to keep pushing through this stage and coming out the other side. And Second- Do not beat yourself up for having “blown it”  (this one is a very mindful approach to change) When you hit a road block take note that you are not on the path that you desire, reflect on the things that got you off the path.  Don’t beat your self up and dwell on the lack of success setback. Instead be aware, adjust m and begin progressing once more in the direction you had intended.  Ask yourself “what can I learn from this for next time”

With this in mind I am recommitting to my New Year’s resolutions twenty or so days later.  With a still unfinished kitchen, a deeper appreciation for a working dishwasher, and a stronger sense of where I want to go.  


Other pictures of printables I am using to keep myself on task this year!

The research for this post was taken from "This Year I Will....How To Finally Change A Habit, Keep a Resolution, or Make a Dream Come True," by M.J. Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.