Social Icons

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Toxic Tuesday

Seems like the story of my life these days is that there's never enough time.  Not enough time to make dinner, not enough time to read a good book, not enough time to shower, not enough ME time, etc...  The only way I can attempt to make it all happen is by multi-tasking!



I'm generally in true form during the 5:00 evening hour.  I can feed a baby, cook dinner, help kids with homework, execute job lists, and have a load of laundry going all at the same time.  Usually it's the shower that gets ignored...like for days.  Probably best not to show up at my house un-announced on a Tuesday.  Odds are I showered Sunday for church and so it was just a waste of time for the next couple days.  It's not "Taco Tuesday" around these parts.  It's "Toxic Tuesday".

I can't even think the word "smelly" without this song popping into my head.  Classic.

Now I know I'm not alone in my amazing multi-tasking powers.  Super Mom's/Dad's everywhere have mastered this art.  Time to take this skill to a whole new level and use it for your own personal development.

When I get my strength-training on you'll never see me resting between reps.  I have 2 to 3 exercises that I'm rotating between.  By doing these mini-circuits I keep my heart rate up (cardio - burns calories) and make the most out of my weight training time.

Here are some examples...
Click on the links for details

Squats/Calve Raises- I like to use the squat rack at the gym so I can safely use weight on a bar but you can do these at home.  I'll do 20 squats and then move right into 20 single leg calve raises (both sides).  Then repeat without stopping x 3.  For added benefit, I put a thick round weight on the floor and do my calve raises off of it.  It allows your heel to drop lower.

Dips/Pull-ups - I hit this machine a lot mainly because I can do two things in one place.  I can go straight from 20 pull-ups (assisted by machine because I'm using sissy strength right now) to 20 dips (yes, still sissy strength) without skipping a beat and repeat x 3.  This machine is also nice because I can set the assistance.  Working my way to zero people, one dip at a time.

Bicep Curl/Straight Arm Raise/Tricep Curl  - This has been a routine of mine since high school.  I can use the same free weight for the biceps and straight arm raise but I get a heavier one for the tricep curl because I do a two handed one.  Same idea as the rest.  20 reps each, 3 sets.  I see people all the time sitting and resting between reps by the free weights and I all I can think is, you could be doing so much more!

Or do two things at the same time

Walking Lunge/Static Cling -  While I work it lunging across the floor, I often hold a round weight from a bench press above my head.  It works just about every muscle in your body and really makes good use of my minutes.


Hopefully I've help you to realize the potential of making the most of your minutes.  This is how you can get in the same amazing workout in half the time.  NO resting!  Good luck!
(I'm gonna go shower now)



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.