Social Icons

Thursday, January 23, 2014

They Really Are Watching!

My treadmill has a bad rap. 

It's not his fault.  I just prefer the outdoors.   When I'm using Mr. Treadster it is a last resort and means it's cold outside or the air quality is so bad my lungs think I took up smoking.  As a result, I often start my treadmill work with a bad attitude...not good.  I'm working on it!  But something happened this week that has Mr. Treadster back on my good list.

Translator - for privacy sake, I'm going to call my kids by their Gma's nicknames.  

Oldest daughter:  Sunshine
Next daughter:  Princess
Oldest Son:  Tiger
Baby:  Marbles (he has HUGE eyes)

Sunshine is a lot like me.  Sometimes it's great and we have a lot of fun.  Other times...not so pretty.  I'm working on that too.  (A lot of self-help going on at home).  Her competitive streak started young and now that she is in the fourth grade, the fire has already been burning for a few years.  She is in the fourth grade and at her school, the 4th and 5th graders get to compete against other schools in a mile race at the end of the year.  This race is EPIC!  My husband ran it 25 years ago and still brags about his fifth place finish.  It might even be worth adding to a resume if your interviewing for a job in this area.  

They have already started training for the race by running laps in the gym and for Sunshine, things are getting pretty serious.  She often comes home and reports that they are adding more laps but not to worry, she was still the first one done.  Then things turned very serious when last Monday she decided it was best if she started training on the treadmill..."like you Mom".  

Now my kids have ran several times on Treadster.  It's quite common after I finish a run for each of them to take turns running for a few minutes while I stand right next to them monitoring their safety.  I loved that they wanted to follow my example.  But Sunshine wanted to take matters into her own hands and have me sit afar off (stubborn and headstrong like her...uh...Dad) so I clipped the shut-off pull on her and off she went.

 I was seriously impressed!  Not sure how she would feel on a treadmill I suggested a limit of not going above 6 mph until the end, then she could sprint at an 8 mph.  She ran a mile without even breaking a sweat and told me it was too easy.  

Lesson: Don't limit your kids!  
(She ran another mile that night 2 minutes faster.)

Not wanting to feel left out Princess and Tiger wanted in on the action. 

Princess is tiny.  She prefers dancing and all things girly and there isn't a competitive bone in her body.  However, she thought it also was a good idea to get started on her training (2 years early) and if she could run in her dance clothes, then why not.  She also blew me away by doing a mile, no problem.


Tiger also has this desire to be first at EVERYTHING.  He and Riley often fight their way up the stairs because they both think the first person to get to the top somehow has won the prize.  Of what I don't know.  Princess just follows behind and sings her way to the top.  It's comical.  None-the-less, Tiger also ran his mile so he could be just like his sisters.  Again, this Mama was all smiles.


For the past week Sunshine has ran several miles, each of them faster than the one before.  I now regard my treadmill as a respectable training partner and I'm grateful he graces us with his presence.  I'm changing my attitude because these little tykes are watching!

Now my 5 year old gets to earn his Wii time...Treadster style.


(Tomorrow's post - tricks to make treadmill time fly faster)




No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.