Social Icons

Monday, January 26, 2015

12 Weeks of wellness: Week 4 Bye Bye Soda!

I have needed to do this one for a while, but somehow didn't think I could do it.  I had to mentally gear up for this one.  Why oh why is this such a hard thing to leave behind.  I know, as I am sure all of you do, that it is bad for me.  I know it's got zero nutritional value, but somehow I still feel or felt as if I needed it.  I felt  entitled to a little indulgence because, I worked out, or I was doing laundry, or cleaning the house or had been good all day... (you fill in the blank here).  Why is it that I feel this way, why not reward myself with a soda...  This sounds like a really silly reward, but somewhere along the way I trained myself to think this.  So day 1 of saying good bye to a bad habit.  Here are a few reasons why I want to drop the soda
*No nutritional value
*I feel it when I exercise if I have had one
*I don't want to NEED anything that isn't serving me
*I think it will help me drop some lbs
*I think it is a start to cutting out unnecessary sugar
*I like the challenge
There are articles all over the internet about all the negative effects of soda so I won't lecture you on those, but here are a few things that really have helped me drop the soda habit in the past.
Don't tell yourself no, for me if I know I can't have it that is all I can think about, but I would always have a 20oz glass of water and if I still wanted a soda after that I could have one, but usually the urge passed, and eventually I found myself not wanting it.  Don't keep it in your house, if it is in my house I will drink it.  When going to dinner or out a lot of times a meal will come with a drink, get water anyway.  I also started drinking more water, and if I needed a little boost to my water I would add fruit or even sometimes a tiny bit of vanilla, or essential oils or other things to keep it tasty.  I would also think about why I was wanting it, was it out of habit, or because I needed a reward, if it was a reward I was after I would find a different one, like 20 minutes to myself, a hot bath, reading, a nice walk outside.

So now we are
*Drinking half our weight in oz of water
*Exercising daily for at least 20 minutes
*Adding a veggie to each meal
*No soda

For those joining me, have you seen any victories yet?  I am still not getting my scale to budge much but I feel better, and my skin looks better than it has in a while, I have more energy, and I am enjoying pushing myself.

Are you joining me on this one?  What is your why for leaving soda? and what tips do you have to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.