Social Icons

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Eat Your Veggies: Spinach

Here is another of my favorite veggies.  Spinach!  It is a super veggie, swap it out for iceberg everywhere you can.  I put it on my sandwiches, in my smoothies, in my eggs, and sometimes I can sneak it into other recipes. 
Why Spinach?  Well is a renowned muscle builder!  (we want muscles, they burn more calories and are sooo pretty)There is a hormone in spinach that increases protein synthesis by 20%.  This hormone allows muscle tissue to repair itself faster according to reasearch.  Spinach is high in vitamin K (one cup of spinach has more than your daily requirement of this vitamin), manganese, magnesium, calcium, folate, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and selenium.  This combination of vitamins and minerals can help to protect the liver and ward off Alzheimer's.  
Spinach is also a beauty power food.  It is rich in beta-carotene, and this converts to a powerful anti-aging Vitamin A. This promotes proper moisture retention in the skin, helping to prevent wrinkles, and removing dead skin from your body.  Spinach also contains lipoic acid, this helps vitamins C and E regenerate(both of these are a must for youthful skin).  It is rich in amino acids and has twice the fiber of most greens, this will keep you full and help you curb cravings.

 So here is the link to my green smoothie where I use my spinach most often.   One of my favorite little books of food info is Beauty Detox Foods  There are tons of great veggie recipes in this book.  She eats much more strictly than I prefer to eat, but there are amazing recipes and a ton of information on different foods and why to eat them.

Here is a recipe I just love!!!  It is a Spinach strawberry salad and it is sooo yummy, I could eat it for many meals.
I found this one on this site, but I have made it many different ways but I really thought this one sounded good.
(she has a lot of great recipes, go check out her site)
She even has the dressing recipe, which I love because then I know exactly what I am eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Disclaimer

We provide the material in this blog for informational purposes only. We do not prescribe and we do not diagnose. If you use the information in this blog without the approval of a health professional, you prescribe for yourself, which remains your constitutional right, but the authors assume no responsibility. The authors shall have neither liability or responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any damage, loss, or injury caused, or alleged to be caused, directly or indirectly by the information contained in this blog. The information presented herein is in no way intended as a substitute for medical counseling. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness, or injury should consult a qualified health care professional. The statements made in this blog have not been evaluated by the FDA.